Craniopharyngioma

A blog about Conner's craniopharyngioma, which is a benign, slow growing brain tumor that grows close to the pituitary.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It's Done

Conner had a craniotomy on 8-July-2005. It lasted about 12 hours. Cysts were drained (2 of them) but membranes were too adhered for the neurosurgeon to get them out.

He took about 4 and a half days at Mott Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan, to recover enough to go home. When he woke up he was very confused and disoriented, and had to be restrained to keep him from taking the bandages off his head, but by 36-48 hours post-op, he was back to himself again.

I am not happy about the pieces left behind, and we now have to face the big question of radiation therapy. I will be using online research coupled with talks with his neurosurgery team regarding this topic. The MRI came back clean, but I need to discuss what they saw a bit further with them, since they spoke to my ex-wife and she was kind of vague.

Big thanks to the pediatric neurosurgery team at the U of M Medical Facility, and a big thanks to his ICU nurses. What a group of compassionate, yet tough as nails, people! Special thanks to Marcy, Regina, Mary, Jennifer, and Sherri in Pediatric ICU pods B and C.

Big thanks to all of Conner's friends and family who came out to support him, especially his new relatives, the Graneys.

And a very special thanks to my wife Holly, for being there for me and for Conner, and for the unconditional love my sweet little Mara had for me when I'd come hope for breif visits.




1 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with that Shaf.

    -Love MF, BK & JW

     

Post a Comment

<< Home